SECTION 5: SETTING UP STUDENTS IN XERO
Now that Leia has been accepted into our Program and given her Payment Authorization Form, she needs to be invoiced her deposit.
First we need to add Leia to Xero as a new Contact.
Start by going into Xero. Once logged in, click on the “+” sign at the top of the screen and select “New Contact” (or select the “Contact” tab at the top of the screen > “All Contacts” > and click the green “Add Contact” button to the right side the screen).
When putting a new Contact into Xero, focus on the following:
- Company Name (this will be the student’s name)
- Primary Person – First & Last names (this will also be the student’s name)
Phone (make sure to include the area code)
When finished inputting this information, click the blue “Save” button at the bottom right of the screen. Xero should redirect to Leia’s partially completed profile. With Leia’s profile, as with every customer profile on Xero, invoices will be displayed on the left. Contact information, uploaded documents, and Groups- which will be discussed next- will be displayed on the right side of the profile.
Sort Leia into her respective Groups. Each student in our system has 2 Groups: a Group specific to the course they are enrolling in and a general Group that denotes the year they first enrolled in a Tech Talent South course.
Leia’s Groups are:
- 2016 ATL Fall FT
- 2016 Students
If Leia were to join another course, for example, Web Design next year, she would also be added to a group that said something similar to 2017 ATL Winter WD. Leia would not need to be added to a 2017 Students group since she would not be a new student in 2017.
Sort Leia into a group by clicking the “Contacts” tab at the top of the screen and select “All Contacts” from the top of the dropdown menu.
The Contacts screen will display a search box on the page. Search for Leia. When her name is displayed below, click the checkbox to the left of her name. Doing so should illuminate the mini “Options” menu directly above her name in blue. Clicking “Options” will open a small dropdown menu. Select “Add to Group” from the top of the menu.
Doing this will open a small window with many Groups to choose from. Keep in mind the simple rule for sorting any student into a course:
Each student should only have 1 General Group but may have many Specific Groups.
- Specific Group – corresponds to a specific course
- YEAR | CAMPUS | COHORT | COURSE ABBREVIATION
- Example: 2016 ATL Fall FT
- General Group – corresponds to the year a student first enrolls into any course
- YEAR | Students
- Example: 2016 Students
When Leia’s 2 Groups (2016 ATL Fall FT and 2016 Students) have been selected, click the blue “Add” button at the bottom of the small window. Going back to Leia’s profile will display the Groups she’s been added to on the right side of her profile beneath her Contact Details.
Now that Leia is set up in Xero and sorted into Groups, she can be invoiced her deposit.
Creating an Invoice
Click on the “+” sign at the top of the screen and click “Invoice” (or click the bright green “New” button under Leia’s name on her profile > “New Sales Invoice” – doing this will open a new tab in the browser but will prefill the invoice with her name).
Below are the parts of an invoice. Understanding these parts of any invoice created in Xero will be beneficial for setting up Payment Options in Xero later on:
- To – The recipient of the invoice. The recipient will need to be a Contact within Xero before they can be invoiced. For the sake of this example, type Leia’s name into this field until Xero finds her Contact details, then select the correct Contact.
- Date – This field is the date the course that the deposit corresponds with starts.
- Due Date – Deposits should be due the Friday before the corresponding course starts. This prevents confusion over deposit due dates.
- Invoice # – Xero auto-assigns Invoice #s. Do not alter this field.
- Reference – Reference is used to designate a specific type of invoice. For example, a recurring invoice would be set to a template and have “Recurring” in the Reference field. For the sake of this exercise, do not alter this field..
- Item – This field contains information about the item being sold, or the course. List the course the deposit is for here. For Leia, select “CI-FT: Code Immersion (FT)”. Beginning to type this will pull up the correct Item.
Click the small upside-down triangle in the Item field to view the other other Items available to select from.
- Description – This field will automatically fill upon selection of an Item. Regardless of the course selected, the Description will read as follows: “Tuition Payment for Tech Talent South’s [ITEM]”. When it comes to Deposits, change the Description to read as follows: “Deposit Invoice for Tech Talent South’s [ITEM]”.
- Qty – Essentially how many Items being billed. Leave this as “1”, otherwise it will affect the Amount USD.
- Unit Price – The Price of the Item; or course the student is being billed for. Since this is Leia’s deposit, change this field to $200.
- Disc % – Discount percentage off of the Item in question. Do not alter this field. All discounts and scholarships are calculated outside of Xero.
- Account – Set the account as 215 (215 – Deferred Revenue).
- Tax Rate – Tax Rate on the Item in question. Do not alter this field.
- Location – This field contains every Tech Talent South campus location. For Leia, select “Atlanta, GA”. Beginning to type this will pull up the correct Location.Click the small upside-down triangle in the Location field to view the other other Locations available to select from.
If the intended campus isn’t listed under Locations, click the “+ Add new tracking option” option at the top of the dropdown menu in the Location field. Xero will pull up a smaller window. Fill in the name of the CITY the campus is in and STATE [City, State: Atlanta, GA] in the box next to “Option:” and click the bright green Save button at the bottom of the window.
- Department – This is essentially the same field as Item. For Leia, we’ll select “Code Immersion (FT)”. Note that beginning to type this will pull up the correct Department.Click the small upside-down triangle in the Department field to view the other Departments available to select from.
If the intended course isn’t listed under Department, click the “+ Add new tracking option” option at the top of the dropdown menu in the Department field. Xero will pull up a smaller window. Fill in the name of the course that needs added in the box next to “Option:” and click the bright green Save button at the bottom of the window.
- Amount USD – This field will populate based off of the Quantity and Unit Price fields. Because Quantity is never more than “1”, Amount USD should be the same as the Unit Price.
Once Leia’s deposit has been set up correctly, it should look like the figure below.
Figure 1: An Example Invoice
Click the bright green “Approve” button at the bottom right of the New Invoice screen.
Leia’s deposit invoice should now display on the left side of her profile.
Syncing InvoiceSherpa With Xero
InvoiceSherpa should now be synced with Xero so that the deposit is reflected in both applications. When creating multiple deposit invoices, keep a list of the new deposit invoices and sync the applications when all the new deposit invoices have been created for the day.
Log into InvoiceSherpa and click the Xero Sync Now button at the top right of the application. It may take a few minutes. Wait until Invoice Sherpa has completely reloaded and then click the Customer Portal tab on the vertical menu to the left-hand side of the screen.
Once there, search for Leia’s name in the search box to the right of the screen. When InvoiceSherpa has found her, click the green “Invite” button displayed alongside her name.
Now Leia should receive invitation to a student portal where she can view and pay her invoices including the deposit invoice that’s just been created for her.
As soon as Leia has been invited her to the portal, “Deposit Invoiced” can be marked complete in Asana. Make sure to update the Deposit column of the rundown to read “Invoiced”.
Since a deposit is a significant step in the Admissions Process, also make a note in the Notes section of the rundown, such as “deposit invoiced [DATE]” for tracking purposes.